An official website of the United States government

Child and Family Matters


Please visit the Department of State’s Intercountry Adoption page for more information on adoptions from Palau.

Passports: Two-Parent Consent

Parental consent is required for U.S. passport applications for children under the age of 16. Further details can be found on our Renew a Child’s Passport under the age of 16 page.

Births & Eligibility for a Consular Report of Birth

A child born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may be eligible for U.S. citizenship if the parent(s) meets the requirements for transmitting U.S. citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act. U.S. citizens eligible to transmit citizenship are required to file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). Find more information in our birth section.

International Parental Child Abduction

Palau is not a Hague Convention Partner with regard to child abductions.  For in-depth information on the workings of the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, visit the Department of State’s International Parental Child Abduction Page.