An official website of the United States government

Eligibility for a CRBA

Please note:

  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. citizen is only issued to a child who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and who is generally under the age of 18 at the time of the application.
  • The U.S. embassy or consulate will provide one original copy of an eligible child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen.
  • A more secure Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen was introduced in January 2011. This new CRBA has been updated with a variety of state of the art security features, and is printed centrally in the United States. U.S. embassies and consulates no longer print CRBAs locally, but you still must apply there. The central production was initiated to ensure uniform quality and reduce vulnerability to fraud. The previous version of the CRBA continues to be valid proof of U.S. citizenship.
  • You may replaceamend or request multiple copies of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen at any time.
  • Persons who acquired U.S. citizenship or U.S. nationality at birth in one of the following current or former territories or outlying possessions of the United States during relevant time periods are not eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen because such persons are not considered to have been born abroad. Individuals born in these locations during the relevant times may establish acquisition of U.S. citizenship or non-citizen nationality, based upon the applicable agreement or statute, by producing their birth certificate issued from the local Vital Records Office along with any other evidence required to establish acquisition:
    •     Puerto Rico
    •     U.S. Virgin Islands American Samoa
    •     Guam
    •     Swains Island
    •     The Panama Canal Zone before October 1, 1979
    •     The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands after January 8, 1978 (8PM EST)
    •     The Philippines before July 4, 1946

Other Citizenship Documents Issued to U.S. Citizens Born Abroad

Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350)

As of December 31, 2010, the Department of State no longer issues Certifications of Reports of Births (DS-1350). All previously issued DS-1350s are still valid for proof of identity, citizenship and other legal purposes.

Certificate of Citizenship issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

A person born abroad who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth but who is over the age of 18 (and so not eligible for a CRBA) may wish to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship to document acquisition pursuant to 8 U.S.C. 1452.  Visit USCIS.gov for further information.